Social Security fraud is a serious type of federal crime that involves attempting to commit or actually carrying out a scheme concerning Social Security benefits. Depending on the specific offense, a defendant may face a fine of up to $500 and/or imprisonment for up to 1 year all the way up to a fine of up to $10,000 and/or imprisonment for up to 15 years.
To successfully challenge Social Security fraud charges, you need an attorney who understands the federal court system inside and out. You need a lawyer who will fight tirelessly on your behalf, countering aggressive efforts by federal prosecutors to convict you and put you behind bars. To learn more about your unique case and how I may be able to help, I recommend that you contact my Los Angeles law offices immediately. I am a Los Angeles federal crime attorney with more than 20 years of experience under my belt. I am fully committed to my clients and provide the honest legal counsel that offers you a clear picture of how to succeed in this potentially catastrophic situation.
Examples of Social Security Fraud
Social Security fraud may be defined as willingly and knowingly:
- Providing false information to establish or maintain Social Security records;
- Using a Social Security number obtained by fraud or falsely representing a Social Security number as your own in an attempt to increase your benefits;
- Making a false statement or misrepresenting information in seeking Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits;
- Making false statements regarding income you have received from an employer or from self-employment;
- Concealing or failing to report any issue that would affect the payment of Social Security benefits; or
- Using Social Security payments received on behalf of another for any purpose other than that person’s wellbeing.
A defendant may face prosecution in federal court when suspected of Social Security fraud, even if the government has not yet made payments to the defendant based upon the fraud or misrepresentation. You do not have to face a future limited by a lengthy term of imprisonment in federal prison and a criminal record. When you contact our firm, you will receive the high level of legal representation that you need to defeat your fraud charges. See the difference that we can make in your case by calling us today.